– (2012) – A junkie’s friend attempts to detox him in the house where he’s squatting, but finds trouble of the strangest varieties. Seems to confuse on purpose, which is fine since the quirks are easy to sit through. The main problem is how tiring the druggie becomes only moments into the film. Odd, but hardly gripping.
– (2016) – A paranoid young man who lives alone in the woods conducts experiments to ward off evil. The premise holds promise, and a secondary character provides laughs, but by the mid-point every highlight dissolves into nothingness. The main problem is we’re never told what’s going on, which might intrigue some but frustrate others.
– (2018) – A woman whose family history is riddled with insanity goes off the deep end ensuing a relative’s death. Hard to describe (and critique) since for every unique shock there’s a moment of complete nonsense. Involving and has plenty to commend, but after a while some scares become silly while the acting becomes a little too unhinged.
– (2016) – Kris Kringle and his demonic brother punish bad kids and those who intend to stop them. If the intentions were to create a film with no excitement, no character worth caring about, and no reason to follow up the previous dud, then this succeeds admirably. Anyone looking for a film with a purpose and a pulse should look elsewhere.
– (2016) – A naked force of absolute evil makes life painfully difficult for the few in her terrain. Gets off to a pitiful start before the horror takes over and the failed attempt to create credible characters wanes. The plot makes no sense, but the violence is so unabashedly disgusting it’s hard not to cringe or squirm through the impressive second half.
– (2018) – A few dinosaurs are rescued from a volcanic realm while a newly constructed breed makes trouble in a facility. Peaks 30-minutes in after an exciting lava chase, but the rest is a contest in which means less: the stale plot or the stale characters. Has some dark moments, but when the only sympathy is geared toward CGI monsters, something is seriously wrong.