– (2016) – Anthology of six stories that focus on a bullied teen, an evil spawn, a resurrected creature, fertility rituals, a family search, female revenge, a virtual reality device, and dual murderers, all taking place on separate holidays. Though there are brushes with amateurism and silliness, there are also moments of shock and tension. Nothing stands out as a classic, as even the best tales have lackluster outcomes, but this is enjoyable straight through.
– (1983) – A warrior quests for magical items and a princess in a realm of monsters and other warriors. Has an abundance of fighting and nudity, but that’s about it. The plot is particularly bland, and when all is said and done most everything is easy to forget. However, this does work well as an 80’s time capsule.
– (2012) – A young scientist brings his dog back to life, sparking an influx of resurrection mayhem. Has a whimsical and emotional beginning, but gradually piles on too many subplots that distract from the heart of the story. Innovative and busy, but lacks focus which ultimately harms the sentimental depths.
– (2018) – A few dinosaurs are rescued from a volcanic realm while a newly constructed breed makes trouble in a facility. Peaks 30-minutes in after an exciting lava chase, but the rest is a contest in which means less: the stale plot or the stale characters. Has some dark moments, but when the only sympathy is geared toward CGI monsters, something is seriously wrong.
– (2014) – Nazis are separated from one another ensuing a plane mishap and end up in woods where cannibals dwell. Runs 96 minutes, but if you remove all the slo-mo shots this would easily lose a half hour. Though a few rants are humorous, there are more close-ups of butt cheeks than anything that advances an actual plot.
– (1981) – Killer snakes make trouble for a town that’s preparing to open a canine race track. Apparently, Satan has manifested himself into one snake that can control others, which never comes across as believable or frightening. More than a little slow, and does nothing not unseen in other serpent movies or Jaws rip-offs.