– (2016) – A family’s daily problems worsen when mysterious stones that summon spirits are brought back from a desert outing. Works okay as an uneven drama with personal issues that come and go, but the horror aspects are lacking. The final third, when horror does kick in, isn’t remotely close to frightening.
67 total views, 3 views today
– (1987) – A musician and a shrink move into the manor of a former slave owner and quickly experience strange occurrences. Never does anything unique, and feels too dry for something so choppy, but has okay moments that rely on cheese. Too sloppy to fully work, but some absurdities are fun.
78 total views, 1 views today
– (2018) – A college student invents a device for the purpose of wireless energy, and finds it can summon ghosts. A drab and soulless experience with underdeveloped characters and banal situations. One moment is kind of freaky, but the bulk of this is a lackluster bore.
89 total views
– (2019) – A man who’s renovating a house decides to give the wrong woman the time of day. Enjoyable from the start, and remains so by always featuring something new and unexpected. Has predictable moments, but is mostly gripping, unique, and violent throughout.
153 total views
– (2019) – A live-action play within a known haunted house goes as badly as many expect. Attempts to add a backstory to the previous entries, but 98% of this has been seen before. Never terrible, and wants to be spooky, but can only remind of the superior original. On the plus side, this has the most fake looking facial scar in movie history.
177 total views
– (2018) – Those curious about the prior happenings of a haunted hotel return to find more ghostly mischief. Has a brush or two with creepiness, but doesn’t do anything that wasn’t covered the first time around. A bit too silly, and takes itself far too seriously, but it’s moderately effective at times.
267 total views
– (2015) – A group of friends open a haunted house attraction in an actual haunted house. Begins as any other found footage cheapie, but what sets this apart from the others is a genuine creep factor throughout. It’s sometimes hard to tell what’s happening, especially toward the end, but there are plenty of moments that elicit chills.
248 total views, 1 views today
– (2019) – Dan Torrance, now grown up, must protect a young girl who also shines from a band of shine eaters. Incredibly long, but wholly absorbing throughout thanks to some truly disturbing character traits and events. The third act loses some momentum, but revisiting the Overlook and its haunts more than make up for any faults.
214 total views
– (2020) – A curse from Japan brings terror to anyone who enters a particular American house. There are some horror moments here and there, but the bulk of this is a remarkably dull drama. A strive for quiet tension is attempted, but fails since few things are invigorating or remotely emotional.
178 total views
– (2019) – A group of friends reunite 27 years after battling an evil force that feeds on fears. Does a good job showcasing an assortment of unique F/X sequences, but the human element is too shallow. The kids have become types, and by focusing too much on their past the reasons to save their hometown in the present is lost. Entirely too long, and could have used less false scares against characters we already know survive their childhoods.
297 total views