– (2019) – A man who’s renovating a house decides to give the wrong woman the time of day. Enjoyable from the start, and remains so by always featuring something new and unexpected. Has predictable moments, but is mostly gripping, unique, and violent throughout.
45 total views, 1 views today
– (2019) – A live-action play within a known haunted house goes as badly as many expect. Attempts to add a backstory to the previous entries, but 98% of this has been seen before. Never terrible, and wants to be spooky, but can only remind of the superior original. On the plus side, this has the most fake looking facial scar in movie history.
100 total views
– (2018) – Those curious about the prior happenings of a haunted hotel return to find more ghostly mischief. Has a brush or two with creepiness, but doesn’t do anything that wasn’t covered the first time around. A bit too silly, and takes itself far too seriously, but it’s moderately effective at times.
180 total views
– (2015) – A group of friends open a haunted house attraction in an actual haunted house. Begins as any other found footage cheapie, but what sets this apart from the others is a genuine creep factor throughout. It’s sometimes hard to tell what’s happening, especially toward the end, but there are plenty of moments that elicit chills.
145 total views
– (2019) – Dan Torrance, now grown up, must protect a young girl who also shines from a band of shine eaters. Incredibly long, but wholly absorbing throughout thanks to some truly disturbing character traits and events. The third act loses some momentum, but revisiting the Overlook and its haunts more than make up for any faults.
157 total views
– (2020) – A curse from Japan brings terror to anyone who enters a particular American house. There are some horror moments here and there, but the bulk of this is a remarkably dull drama. A strive for quiet tension is attempted, but fails since few things are invigorating or remotely emotional.
122 total views
– (2019) – A group of friends reunite 27 years after battling an evil force that feeds on fears. Does a good job showcasing an assortment of unique F/X sequences, but the human element is too shallow. The kids have become types, and by focusing too much on their past the reasons to save their hometown in the present is lost. Entirely too long, and could have used less false scares against characters we already know survive their childhoods.
184 total views
– (2015) – Police try to unravel a case that finds a group of paranormal investigators missing while one of them is suspected of murder. Though horror events do transpire, we know virtually nothing about anyone they’re happening to. The structure works, but the story never leads to realms of tension.
102 total views
– (2019) – A babysitter in the house of demonic relic collectors inadvertently unleashes the evil intentions of a possessed doll. Does what it can to establish credible characters, and they are likable, but the horror inflicted upon them is rather routine. Gets busy toward the end, but also feels unfocused. The best of the three so far, but still underwhelming.
104 total views
– (2015) – College friends move into a house that’s haunted by Lizzie Borden. Though nothing commendable occurs on any cinematic level, the overall wretchedness makes for a pretty fun time. Moves quickly through its powerful stupidity, and creates quite a few unintentional laughs.
100 total views