– (2019) – Dan Torrance, now grown up, must protect a young girl who also shines from a band of shine eaters. Incredibly long, but wholly absorbing throughout thanks to some truly disturbing character traits and events. The third act loses some momentum, but revisiting the Overlook and its haunts more than make up for any faults.
74 total views, no views today
– (2020) – A curse from Japan brings terror to anyone who enters a particular American house. There are some horror moments here and there, but the bulk of this is a remarkably dull drama. A strive for quiet tension is attempted, but fails since few things are invigorating or remotely emotional.
76 total views, no views today
– (2019) – A group of friends reunite 27 years after battling an evil force that feeds on fears. Does a good job showcasing an assortment of unique F/X sequences, but the human element is too shallow. The kids have become types, and by focusing too much on their past the reasons to save their hometown in the present is lost. Entirely too long, and could have used less false scares against characters we already know survive their childhoods.
84 total views, no views today
– (2015) – Police try to unravel a case that finds a group of paranormal investigators missing while one of them is suspected of murder. Though horror events do transpire, we know virtually nothing about anyone they’re happening to. The structure works, but the story never leads to realms of tension.
53 total views, no views today
– (2019) – A babysitter in the house of demonic relic collectors inadvertently unleashes the evil intentions of a possessed doll. Does what it can to establish credible characters, and they are likable, but the horror inflicted upon them is rather routine. Gets busy toward the end, but also feels unfocused. The best of the three so far, but still underwhelming.
56 total views, no views today
– (2015) – College friends move into a house that’s haunted by Lizzie Borden. Though nothing commendable occurs on any cinematic level, the overall wretchedness makes for a pretty fun time. Moves quickly through its powerful stupidity, and creates quite a few unintentional laughs.
51 total views, 1 views today
– (2018) Frat bros host a luau that’s interrupted by an evil spirit lurking in their house. Nothing new occurs, the camera style is unnecessarily distracting, and the characters are all worthy of choking out. However, there is an ambitious strive to entertain throughout, which does come through in the quick pace and the comedic horror scenarios.
95 total views, no views today
– (2017) – Extortionists invade the manor of dysfunctional inhabitants amid spooky occurrences. While what happens is unpredictable, the end results aren’t exactly memorable. Too convoluted for its own good, and has too many despicable characters whose outcomes aren’t worth worrying about.
25 total views, no views today
– (2018) – A young man obliterates his dysfunctional family after a slow dissolve involving abuse, drugs, and infrequent haunts. A variation of Amityville II that doesn’t resort to as much corn, but rather tries to depict history in a more straightforward manner. Not always on point, and the Long Island accents are a bit much, but by the end this is wholly effective.
33 total views, no views today
– (2013) – Many lives are disrupted by an unseen force lurking in a peculiar house. The time aspect does something unique to the ordinary, but everything else is just that: ordinary. Most every character and situation goes through the same motions as the plethora of ghosts moves than have come before and will come after.
28 total views, no views today