– (2019) – An alienated young man and his overly spunky friend discover a witch who complicates an already dysfunctional town. On the bright side the practical F/X are impressive, and the attempt at horror is valiant. However, too many areas are reminiscent of any other fish-out-of-water yarn, while the mystery aspects run no deeper than a Scooby-Doo episode.
106 total views
– (2020) – African refugees flee to England where they’re housed in a tenement full of ghoulish surprises. Has some stark scenes of horror that contrast the wicked outside world, and provides a few chills along the way. The main problem is that the leads aren’t drawn enough to feel total compassion for, despite how tragic their lives are.
131 total views
– (2020) – Four budding witches develop their powers amid common high school struggles. Hardly reinvents the witchcraft wheel as nothing presented is remotely fresh. A remake/reboot that’s far more obnoxious than meaningful, and far more tedious than gripping. The final twist, however, is decent.
228 total views
– (2020) – A young boy is turned into a mouse at a witch convention and looks for a way to settle the score. Pretty much the same movie as the 1990 original, but suffers in comparison thanks to an overreliance of CGI and an overall lack of dark morbidity. Moves fast, but covers no new ground.
346 total views
– (1977) – A husky young woman uses her telekinesis to torment her enemies. The opening death should have been far more elaborate, and the rest feels the same. There are many good parts, but nothing stands out as significant. Has a solid twist toward the end, but also a lot of soap opera moments throughout.
491 total views
– (1978) – Ensuing the death of her parents, a young woman stays with her mother’s family, but she’s not as pleasant as she seems. Involving at the start, but gradually becomes sillier and more predictable as it advances. Not a regretful watch, as a lot happens at a steady place with cheese aplenty.
245 total views
– (2017) – A group of teens enter a haunted estate on Halloween night and have a hard time getting out. Takes every known ghost cliche of the past 100 years and crams them into 86-minutes. Does provide a variety of attempted scares, but none provide tension as you’re more apt to laugh at most occurrences than cower from them.
370 total views
– (1990) – A young boy is turned into a mouse at a witch convention and looks for a way to settle the score. Mostly obnoxious at first, and always remains awkward, but does provide some fun moments once the kid becomes a rodent. A strange blend of horror and kiddie fodder, but it always holds interest and reasons to see it through to the end.
209 total views
– (2020) – A banished girl and her brother happen upon an evil woman who tries teaching them the ways of the witch. Despite some great scenery, there’s not much else to please the senses as this is one of the slowest films in recent memory. Never builds dread because nothing is original, and never builds characters since everything they whisper is ordinary.
239 total views
– (2019) – Religious movie theater employees find a basement, discover a film, play said film, and become hunted by a force from that film. A mediocre story bogged down by unlikable characters and brain dead logic. They don’t escape because breaking a glass door is wrong? Several such factors contribute to a lousy time, though unoriginal ambition does arrive in the final act.
287 total views