– (2018) – People added to a naughty list are picked off by those possessed by a toy elf. Begins with a scene featuring the worst child actors ever put to film, and somehow gets worse from there. An incoherent mess with unfocused advancements, pitiful murders, and irritating smirks that rip off Truth or Dare. Absolutely miserable.
– (2018) – Anthology of four stories (with an elongated wraparound) that focus on slave toys, a necromancer, vamps, and racial politics. While some of what occurs is drop dead dumb, there’s enough humor and positive social messages throughout to keep enjoyment rolling. Not as stark as the original, but certainly amusing.
– (2018) – Patrons who gather for an auction at the estate of a doll maker are picked off by his dolls. There’s not much of a plot, and none of the characters have depth, but the gore quotient is highly impressive. Not as dull as many other entries, as there is much needed momentum, but excitement comes in fits and starts.
– (2017) – Chucky seeks out the previous film’s survivor in a mental institution, with the ability to replicate himself. Has a cleverness that sets it apart from other entries, and Chucky’s a hoot when he actually appears. The main problem rests with the human characters who are either too bland or fail to do anything progressive. Somewhat fresh for a seventh entry, but the series has gotten stale.
– (2016) – Strange occurrences transpire after a young woman is hired to nanny the doll replica of a deceased child. There are certainly bizarre moments and unpredictable turns, but there’s also a fair share of corniness and ineptitude. Doesn’t make much sense, all told, and holds zero emotional weight.
– (2015) – Evil forces are unleashed upon a dysfunctional family at Christmastime when the last of Santa’s believers stops believing in him. Begins with typically abnormal characters struggling to co-exist, then tosses in horror that makes up rules as it goes along. One moment features killer cookies, then killer attic junk, then killer elves, etc. Has no solid foundation and little cohesion.