– (2017) – A woman who recently lost her mother copes by smoking marijuana that alters her perceptions. Aims for a trippy vibe, but fails in that regard since nothing unusual or ordinary holds any weight. Moves too slow, has hardly any dialog, and means nothing.
60 total views, 2 views today
– (1987) – A musician and a shrink move into the manor of a former slave owner and quickly experience strange occurrences. Never does anything unique, and feels too dry for something so choppy, but has okay moments that rely on cheese. Too sloppy to fully work, but some absurdities are fun.
78 total views, 1 views today
– (2019) – When two siblings stay at a lodge with their father’s new girlfriend, dysfunction slowly gives way to insanity. From start to finish there are some clever moments and surprises, but they’re sporadically placed amid an incredibly drawn out 108-minutes, which often feels like an eternity. A brisker pace might have amped-up suspense, but what remains is steady though not highly enjoyable.
122 total views, 1 views today
– (1966) – A drunk who mutilates and tortures cats is eventually tormented by one. Rather sluggish overall, and the music grates nerves, but not all is lost. The plot, while thin, is sadistic, and serves as a good reason to include a great ax murder. The finale, meanwhile, is moderately effective.
133 total views
– (2019) – A man stops at nothing to find his wife and daughter who go missing in a hospital. A highly involving nail-biter with plenty of grueling turns. Sometimes teeters on the brink of logic, but there’s never a reason to not see this through to the end as suspense is always in high supply.
155 total views
– (2019) – A man who’s renovating a house decides to give the wrong woman the time of day. Enjoyable from the start, and remains so by always featuring something new and unexpected. Has predictable moments, but is mostly gripping, unique, and violent throughout.
153 total views
– (2019) – A troubled young man with ties to psychosis is gradually taken over by his imaginary friend. Gets off to a gripping start before slowly developing the main characters, and while doing so becomes an exercise in sheer lunacy. Gets odder, darker, and more violent as it goes, and never fails to disturb. A bit confusing at times, but gives off plenty of cult-classic vibes.
163 total views
– (2019) – A lighthouse keeper and his new assistant come to blows over matters of isolation and lunacy. Well-regarded for the stark cinematography and wonderful performances, and deservedly so. However, despite how this looks, there’s not much to feel when dealing with human emotion. Expertly crafted, but a bit hollow.
157 total views, 1 views today
– (2019) – Anthology of five stories that focus on a masked killer, a killer doll, a killer dressed as Santa, a killer cult, and a wraparound involving a killer demon. Presents the gimmick of taking place on different holidays, but they can occur at any time since there’s virtually no holiday atmosphere in any segment, even the one with Santa. The tales themselves are either stale, dull, or rip-offs of superior films.
197 total views
– (2018) – A highly dysfunctional family turns to murder during a Christmas dinner party. Has plenty of violent zaniness, but the characters are so over the top in their regular deficiencies that their rise to insanity is barely noticed. Only the lead female comes close to commendable, as everyone else is repugnant out of the gate. Easy to get through, but once will do.
175 total views, 1 views today