– (2019) – A man stops at nothing to find his wife and daughter who go missing in a hospital. A highly involving nail-biter with plenty of grueling turns. Sometimes teeters on the brink of logic, but there’s never a reason to not see this through to the end as suspense is always in high supply.
51 total views, 1 views today
– (2019) – A man who’s renovating a house decides to give the wrong woman the time of day. Enjoyable from the start, and remains so by always featuring something new and unexpected. Has predictable moments, but is mostly gripping, unique, and violent throughout.
45 total views, 1 views today
– (2019) – A troubled young man with ties to psychosis is gradually taken over by his imaginary friend. Gets off to a gripping start before slowly developing the main characters, and while doing so becomes an exercise in sheer lunacy. Gets odder, darker, and more violent as it goes, and never fails to disturb. A bit confusing at times, but gives off plenty of cult-classic vibes.
97 total views
– (2019) – A lighthouse keeper and his new assistant come to blows over matters of isolation and lunacy. Well-regarded for the stark cinematography and wonderful performances, and deservedly so. However, despite how this looks, there’s not much to feel when dealing with human emotion. Expertly crafted, but a bit hollow.
85 total views
– (2019) – Anthology of five stories that focus on a masked killer, a killer doll, a killer dressed as Santa, a killer cult, and a wraparound involving a killer demon. Presents the gimmick of taking place on different holidays, but they can occur at any time since there’s virtually no holiday atmosphere in any segment, even the one with Santa. The tales themselves are either stale, dull, or rip-offs of superior films.
140 total views, 1 views today
– (2018) – A highly dysfunctional family turns to murder during a Christmas dinner party. Has plenty of violent zaniness, but the characters are so over the top in their regular deficiencies that their rise to insanity is barely noticed. Only the lead female comes close to commendable, as everyone else is repugnant out of the gate. Easy to get through, but once will do.
126 total views
– (2019) – Notorious serial killers reassemble to continue their deviant ways. The first hour is an absolute riot that builds on the lore of the main cast while furthering their inventive insanity. The second half, however, merely mimics the third act of The Devil’s Rejects. Still, there are plenty of reasons to rejoice over the resurgence of characters who are at their best when behaving their worst.
304 total views
– (1990) – An already disturbed man unravels further after a break up with a short term girlfriend. Moves at an even pace while covering a few distinct moments, but it’s rather quiet and the main character is too underdeveloped to warrant so much focus. The brushes with insanity are okay, but in the end nothing here hasn’t been done before.
102 total views
– (2019) – High school kids befriend a woman who lets them party in her basement, but she gradually becomes too involved in their lives. Works best when laying out insanity, but some occurrences are a bit on the silly side. The major problem is the antagonist’s motive, which doesn’t necessitate the brutal outcome.
147 total views
– (2018) – A young author and her dimwitted friends return to her childhood home where they’re plagued by a mysterious killer. Does everything seen a million times before, and when trying something unique collapses under the weight of sluggishness. Nothing here means anything because no character amounts to anything.
109 total views, 1 views today