– (1997) – A defense lawyer from Florida is summoned to a New York City firm to take on high profile cases. Involving in the early-to-mid stages when blending the rise of success with the falling apart of a loved one, but once the religious plot is sorted out absurdities take over. The final half hour is packed with corny twists, and I doubt Al Pacino has ever been louder.
368 total views
– (2015) – A seemingly kind babysitter is hired to watch three kids, but she gradually puts them through one disturbing situation after another. Becomes more involving the further it goes, and features a few twisted surprises. The finale is pitiful, however, as is the frustrating note that the villain’s motive is never revealed.
122 total views
– (2017) – A woman who recently lost her mother copes by smoking marijuana that alters her perceptions. Aims for a trippy vibe, but fails in that regard since nothing unusual or ordinary holds any weight. Moves too slow, has hardly any dialog, and means nothing.
138 total views
– (1987) – A musician and a shrink move into the manor of a former slave owner and quickly experience strange occurrences. Never does anything unique, and feels too dry for something so choppy, but has okay moments that rely on cheese. Too sloppy to fully work, but some absurdities are fun.
131 total views
– (2019) – When two siblings stay at a lodge with their father’s new girlfriend, dysfunction slowly gives way to insanity. From start to finish there are some clever moments and surprises, but they’re sporadically placed amid an incredibly drawn out 108-minutes, which often feels like an eternity. A brisker pace might have amped-up suspense, but what remains is steady though not highly enjoyable.
173 total views
– (1966) – A drunk who mutilates and tortures cats is eventually tormented by one. Rather sluggish overall, and the music grates nerves, but not all is lost. The plot, while thin, is sadistic, and serves as a good reason to include a great ax murder. The finale, meanwhile, is moderately effective.
171 total views
– (2019) – A man stops at nothing to find his wife and daughter who go missing in a hospital. A highly involving nail-biter with plenty of grueling turns. Sometimes teeters on the brink of logic, but there’s never a reason to not see this through to the end as suspense is always in high supply.
198 total views
– (2019) – A man who’s renovating a house decides to give the wrong woman the time of day. Enjoyable from the start, and remains so by always featuring something new and unexpected. Has predictable moments, but is mostly gripping, unique, and violent throughout.
199 total views
– (2019) – A troubled young man with ties to psychosis is gradually taken over by his imaginary friend. Gets off to a gripping start before slowly developing the main characters, and while doing so becomes an exercise in sheer lunacy. Gets odder, darker, and more violent as it goes, and never fails to disturb. A bit confusing at times, but gives off plenty of cult-classic vibes.
211 total views
– (2019) – A lighthouse keeper and his new assistant come to blows over matters of isolation and lunacy. Well-regarded for the stark cinematography and wonderful performances, and deservedly so. However, despite how this looks, there’s not much to feel when dealing with human emotion. Expertly crafted, but a bit hollow.
202 total views, 1 views today