– (2019) – A man is summoned to his father’s house for reasons that are far from standard. Starts of well-enough, but around the mid-point starts throwing around too many oddball situations, and none are particularly engaging. Certainly unpredictable, but too scattered to fully grip.
106 total views
– (2014) – A man with too many financial responsibilities is lured into a game of committing crimes for money. The premise is intriguing, as are some of the acts carried out by the lead, but one major gripe is how often he too easily escapes capture. Not air tight, but steadily watchable.
99 total views
– (2015) – After two kids steal a sheriff’s car events spiral out of control for every party involved. Despite having a few twists, none are particularly memorable since nothing is known about any featured character. Tends to get silly and irrational, and ends on a note that explains nothing.
114 total views
– (2015) – A seemingly kind babysitter is hired to watch three kids, but she gradually puts them through one disturbing situation after another. Becomes more involving the further it goes, and features a few twisted surprises. The finale is pitiful, however, as is the frustrating note that the villain’s motive is never revealed.
122 total views
– (2017) – A woman who recently lost her mother copes by smoking marijuana that alters her perceptions. Aims for a trippy vibe, but fails in that regard since nothing unusual or ordinary holds any weight. Moves too slow, has hardly any dialog, and means nothing.
138 total views
– (1961) – After witnessing the murder of its owner, a cat terrorizes her affluent family. Sounds corny, and sometimes is, but there’s a darkness throughout that helps keep the plot serious. Doesn’t make much sense as we’re never told why the cat is so motivational, but the body count is relatively high and the scenery often eerie.
152 total views
– (1966) – A drunk who mutilates and tortures cats is eventually tormented by one. Rather sluggish overall, and the music grates nerves, but not all is lost. The plot, while thin, is sadistic, and serves as a good reason to include a great ax murder. The finale, meanwhile, is moderately effective.
171 total views
– (2019) – A man stops at nothing to find his wife and daughter who go missing in a hospital. A highly involving nail-biter with plenty of grueling turns. Sometimes teeters on the brink of logic, but there’s never a reason to not see this through to the end as suspense is always in high supply.
198 total views
– (2019) – A lighthouse keeper and his new assistant come to blows over matters of isolation and lunacy. Well-regarded for the stark cinematography and wonderful performances, and deservedly so. However, despite how this looks, there’s not much to feel when dealing with human emotion. Expertly crafted, but a bit hollow.
202 total views, 1 views today
– (2019) – A poor family cons their way into becoming employees of an affluent family, but unexpected events foil their scheme. A slow builder that’s hard to decipher at first, but once the plot settles the delirious twists rarely stop coming. Though the characters are hard to root for, since they are rather narcissistic, what they face is often jarring and ultimately sad.
297 total views