– (2020) – Bystanders of a fatal beating become prey to a suspicious force. The concept of civilians filming events without intervening is commendable, but it’s a lesson crammed deep down our throats throughout. Far too irritating to create suspense, and lacks emotional ties to any character.
128 total views, 1 views today
– (2019) – A man is summoned to his father’s house for reasons that are far from standard. Starts of well-enough, but around the mid-point starts throwing around too many oddball situations, and none are particularly engaging. Certainly unpredictable, but too scattered to fully grip.
137 total views
– (2014) – A man with too many financial responsibilities is lured into a game of committing crimes for money. The premise is intriguing, as are some of the acts carried out by the lead, but one major gripe is how often he too easily escapes capture. Not air tight, but steadily watchable.
130 total views
– (2015) – After two kids steal a sheriff’s car events spiral out of control for every party involved. Despite having a few twists, none are particularly memorable since nothing is known about any featured character. Tends to get silly and irrational, and ends on a note that explains nothing.
165 total views
– (2015) – A seemingly kind babysitter is hired to watch three kids, but she gradually puts them through one disturbing situation after another. Becomes more involving the further it goes, and features a few twisted surprises. The finale is pitiful, however, as is the frustrating note that the villain’s motive is never revealed.
161 total views
– (2017) – A woman who recently lost her mother copes by smoking marijuana that alters her perceptions. Aims for a trippy vibe, but fails in that regard since nothing unusual or ordinary holds any weight. Moves too slow, has hardly any dialog, and means nothing.
177 total views
– (1961) – After witnessing the murder of its owner, a cat terrorizes her affluent family. Sounds corny, and sometimes is, but there’s a darkness throughout that helps keep the plot serious. Doesn’t make much sense as we’re never told why the cat is so motivational, but the body count is relatively high and the scenery often eerie.
183 total views
– (1966) – A drunk who mutilates and tortures cats is eventually tormented by one. Rather sluggish overall, and the music grates nerves, but not all is lost. The plot, while thin, is sadistic, and serves as a good reason to include a great ax murder. The finale, meanwhile, is moderately effective.
208 total views
– (2019) – A man stops at nothing to find his wife and daughter who go missing in a hospital. A highly involving nail-biter with plenty of grueling turns. Sometimes teeters on the brink of logic, but there’s never a reason to not see this through to the end as suspense is always in high supply.
236 total views
– (2019) – A lighthouse keeper and his new assistant come to blows over matters of isolation and lunacy. Well-regarded for the stark cinematography and wonderful performances, and deservedly so. However, despite how this looks, there’s not much to feel when dealing with human emotion. Expertly crafted, but a bit hollow.
236 total views