– (2020) – A woman is transported into the minds of others to carry out assassination missions. On the plus side, this continuously makes you wonder what’s happening. On the minus side, none of the answers are gratifying. The concept is intriguing, but the execution is plagued by a sluggish pace and what feels like forced confusion. The violence is effective, though.
135 total views
– (2020) – Bystanders of a fatal beating become prey to a suspicious force. The concept of civilians filming events without intervening is commendable, but it’s a lesson crammed deep down our throats throughout. Far too irritating to create suspense, and lacks emotional ties to any character.
206 total views
– (2019) – A man is summoned to his father’s house for reasons that are far from standard. Starts of well-enough, but around the mid-point starts throwing around too many oddball situations, and none are particularly engaging. Certainly unpredictable, but too scattered to fully grip.
182 total views
– (2014) – A man with too many financial responsibilities is lured into a game of committing crimes for money. The premise is intriguing, as are some of the acts carried out by the lead, but one major gripe is how often he too easily escapes capture. Not air tight, but steadily watchable.
169 total views
– (2015) – After two kids steal a sheriff’s car events spiral out of control for every party involved. Despite having a few twists, none are particularly memorable since nothing is known about any featured character. Tends to get silly and irrational, and ends on a note that explains nothing.
210 total views
– (2015) – A seemingly kind babysitter is hired to watch three kids, but she gradually puts them through one disturbing situation after another. Becomes more involving the further it goes, and features a few twisted surprises. The finale is pitiful, however, as is the frustrating note that the villain’s motive is never revealed.
205 total views
– (2017) – A woman who recently lost her mother copes by smoking marijuana that alters her perceptions. Aims for a trippy vibe, but fails in that regard since nothing unusual or ordinary holds any weight. Moves too slow, has hardly any dialog, and means nothing.
220 total views
– (1961) – After witnessing the murder of its owner, a cat terrorizes her affluent family. Sounds corny, and sometimes is, but there’s a darkness throughout that helps keep the plot serious. Doesn’t make much sense as we’re never told why the cat is so motivational, but the body count is relatively high and the scenery often eerie.
223 total views
– (1966) – A drunk who mutilates and tortures cats is eventually tormented by one. Rather sluggish overall, and the music grates nerves, but not all is lost. The plot, while thin, is sadistic, and serves as a good reason to include a great ax murder. The finale, meanwhile, is moderately effective.
246 total views
– (2019) – A man stops at nothing to find his wife and daughter who go missing in a hospital. A highly involving nail-biter with plenty of grueling turns. Sometimes teeters on the brink of logic, but there’s never a reason to not see this through to the end as suspense is always in high supply.
289 total views