– (2016) – A paranoid young man who lives alone in the woods conducts experiments to ward off evil. The premise holds promise, and a secondary character provides laughs, but by the mid-point every highlight dissolves into nothingness. The main problem is we’re never told what’s going on, which might intrigue some but frustrate others.
– (2016) – A naked force of absolute evil makes life painfully difficult for the few in her terrain. Gets off to a pitiful start before the horror takes over and the failed attempt to create credible characters wanes. The plot makes no sense, but the violence is so unabashedly disgusting it’s hard not to cringe or squirm through the impressive second half.
– (2013) – Jewelry store robbers, one of their young sons, and a cab driver end up the targets of witches who plan mankind’s fall. Begins as a humorous heist film with no traces of horror, but waiting for the witch scenario to take flight is worth the effort. Eventually does whatever it wants to do to provide shocks and humor, and ultimately stands out as a mark of pure lunacy.
– (2017) – A young woman inadvertently summons a pissed off ghost and wades through one haunting after another. While this does have solid attempts at horror, none ever take hold since they’re always visions without consequences. Worst of all is the rampant stupidity, as characters seem to beg to be put in harm’s way.
– (1978) – A magical author and a vampire manipulate the minds and necks of women. A second version of Lucifer’s Women that adds new scenes of horror hokum and in turn loses the smutty highlights of the initial version. Still doesn’t make much sense, but has enough going on to not consider a complete failure.
– (2018) – A detective investigating a serial killer gets tied up with the judgmental forces of Hell. An ugly production that at first piles on a ton of gore only to abandon such elements for common cop fodder. Seems to head nowhere, but the final act does have a few unexpected turns. Not great, but not nearly as bad as some other entries.