– (2007) – A trio of friends looking for fun at a Mexican border town instead find themselves involved with a religious cult. Opens with a vicious bang, then builds on an involving mystery with plenty of surprises and violent shocks. Characters aren’t always the brightest, and some actions aren’t logical, but this is completely absorbing in the grittiest of ways.
– (2016) – A young man who drinks the blood of his victims has a hard time maintaining a new friendship. Enjoyable for its quiet take on vampires, but feels a but too much like a film it mentions, Let the Right One In. This is also slow enough to add weight to your eyelids, but still serves as middle-tier entertainment.
– (2014) – A couple that manipulates themselves travel around to financially deceive others, yet their plans always end up in violence. Not easy to explain, which is great since it’s also difficult to know what will happen from one scene to the next. Pulls you along with a firm, psychotic grasp from startling start to disturbing finish.
– (2015) – A young woman with parental issues doles out her aggressions on the innocent. Has a calm tone throughout that works well at first, but ultimately leads to tedium. By the time the horror kicks in (rather confusingly), it’s hard to worry about any outcomes since no one becomes known during the slow processes.
– (2016) – A paranoid young man who lives alone in the woods conducts experiments to ward off evil. The premise holds promise, and a secondary character provides laughs, but by the mid-point every highlight dissolves into nothingness. The main problem is we’re never told what’s going on, which might intrigue some but frustrate others.
– (2016) – A naked force of absolute evil makes life painfully difficult for the few people in her terrain. Gets off to a pitiful start before the horror takes over and the failed attempt to create credible characters wanes. The plot makes no sense, but the violence is so unabashedly disgusting it’s hard not to cringe or squirm through the impressive second half.
– (2013) – Jewelry store robbers, one of their young sons, and a cab driver end up the targets of witches who plan mankind’s fall. Begins as a humorous heist film with no traces of horror, but waiting for the witch scenario to take flight is worth the effort. Eventually does whatever it wants to do to provide shocks and humor, and ultimately stands out as a mark of pure lunacy.