– (2019) – A girl is abducted by an affluent family that has ties to a voodoo curse. Pretty pitiful out of the gate, and worsens the more the story is explained. There’s simply too much corn in every character and plot point, and far too many close-ups of irritating actors.
163 total views
– (1987) – Anthology of four stories that focus on a lonely murderer, a greedy thief, carnival lust, and young Civil War survivors. While none of the tales make much sense, each has its own creepy vibe and some violent moments that are hard to shake. A dark, atmospheric, and bloody good time that ends with a truly humorous line.
252 total views
– (2015) – A masseuse kills her patrons in the name of voodoo and resurrection. A 61-minute mess that barely has a story and is highlighted by some of the worst gore (spaghetti sauce) ever filmed. There are some amusements throughout, and every actor seems in on the joke, but it’s hard to consider this an actual movie.
194 total views
– (2002) – Three friends are forced into a strip club housed by vampires. Does the best it can with a dirt cheap budget, though the standard plot only leads to an okay-at-best time. Gets by on likable characters and a few horror moments worth noting.
196 total views
– (2017) – The survivor of Hatchet III is trapped in a downed plane with those looking to bank on the legend of Victor Crowley. Despite a few lags, this has a ton of great jokes, awesome kills, and an overall sense of fun. Doesn’t reinvent the genre, but shows how to breathe new life into a fourth entry.
183 total views
– (1980) – A mysterious woman, a black cat, and the undead make trouble for people who are often naked. Doesn’t have much a plot to talk about, as this is more concerned with occasional sex scenes, some of which are hardcore. Don’t get excited, though, those scenes are as bland as everything else.
293 total views, 1 views today
– (1973) – An average man who discovers a famous magician’s cloak becomes a famous magician. The plot to get things going is bad enough, but too many other aspects are thrown in to render this a conglomeration of bad scenes that form one nonsensical concoction. A complete mess that disappeared for a reason.
177 total views
-(1979) – A married couple moves into a house that inverts crosses and spews gook. Begins with an overlong satanic ritual that paves the way for the sheer boredom that follows. There’s hardly any dialog, barely any movement, and not one inkling of suspense. For some reason ends with a voodoo ritual.
191 total views
– (1973) – A ritual resurrects a vampire who brings down trouble on a voodoo cult. The police involvements show just how corny vampire lore can be, but the drama is played straight and makes the most of its slim premise. Slows considerably in the third act, but is usually enjoyable.
168 total views
– (1932) – A couple travels to Haiti to become married, but an owner of undead slaves wants the woman for himself. Aside from expectedly lame dialog and unfortunate racism, this is a pretty creepy story that’s far ahead of its time. Dark, moody, and mostly effective.
189 total views, 1 views today