– (2016) – A paranoid young man who lives alone in the woods conducts experiments to ward off evil. The premise holds promise, and a secondary character provides laughs, but by the mid-point every highlight dissolves into nothingness. The main problem is we’re never told what’s going on, which might intrigue some but frustrate others.
– (2016) – Kris Kringle and his demonic brother punish bad kids and those who intend to stop them. If the intentions were to create a film with no excitement, no character worth caring about, and no reason to follow up the previous dud, then this succeeds admirably. Anyone looking for a film with a purpose and a pulse should look elsewhere.
– (2017) – Partygoers become stranded in the desert realm of an ancient, murderous tribe. On the upside, a lot happens at a brisk pace. On the downside, nothing that happens is very enjoyable as the obnoxiousness reaches high levels of irritation. The violence and sleaze are okay, but there’s an awful lot of yelling, screaming, and music played at equal volume.
– (1976) – A demon is killing people beneath NYC, and rival gangs are taking the blame. Has enough scenes of badly staged martial arts to hold some attention, but even with all the fighting this doesn’t take long to start dragging. The monster activity isn’t too bad, but there isn’t enough of it to go around.
– (2017) – A married couple moves into a house with a demonic secret, and quickly fall victim to its quirky designs. Gets off to a hilarious start, which sets the stage for the kooky shenanigans that follow. Won’t win over anyone who wants logic with their characters, but they do provide an awful lot of fun.
– (2017) – A high school student discovers a book that summons the death of anyone whose name is written in it, resulting in the convolutions of betrayal. Has the basic premise of the original, but lacks in areas of style, humor, and creativity. The gore is fine, but investing in the characters is something that never arises.
– (2016) – Paranormal experts investigate the possession of a child and the ghostly mayhem in her London home. Begins in a location promised in the previous film’s conclusion, and proceeds with events that not only keep pace with the freakishness of the original, but invents new scenarios as well. A surprisingly dramatic spookshow that’s loaded with tension.