– (2019) – Dan Torrance, now grown up, must protect a young girl who also shines from a band of shine eaters. Incredibly long, but wholly absorbing throughout thanks to some truly disturbing character traits and events. The third act loses some momentum, but revisiting the Overlook and its haunts more than make up for any faults.
157 total views
– (1987) – Anthology of four stories that focus on a lonely murderer, a greedy thief, carnival lust, and young Civil War survivors. While none of the tales make much sense, each has its own creepy vibe and some violent moments that are hard to shake. A dark, atmospheric, and bloody good time that ends with a truly humorous line.
135 total views, 1 views today
– (1988) – A woman with serious man problems summons a demon for purposes of revenge, and things quickly turn violent. The plot is nothing special, but the 80’s vibe is high, the violence is ample, and there’s plenty of skin to please each gender. Corny and dry, but easy to get through.
139 total views, 1 views today
– (2016) – A woman who casts spells of affection on men is prone to take matters to deadly lengths. Has a distinct look that gives off a vintage vibe, but the story becomes stale in a hurry. Enough happens to help keep eyes open (sometimes wide open) but the plot crawls to a drab finish.
108 total views
– (1989) – A family on Christmas vacation encounter a deadly cult in a Midwestern ghost town. Plods through mundane events at an even pace, and barely holds interest despite some evil happenings. Christmas atmosphere is lacking, as are thrills and credible characters.
174 total views, 1 views today
– (1986) – Artifacts are stolen from an ancient Egyptian demon, and now she’s back to reclaim them. Doesn’t feature much horror, and has very little sleaze which is surprising considering the names attached. The story alone would be fine if it moved faster and at least tried to make sense. In all, a sloppy bore.
124 total views, 1 views today
– (2019) – A bulky spawn from Hell must keep a reassembled witch from ruining the world. While the multitude of F/X range from cheesy to impressive, the script never rises above lame. There’s simply too much happening, and not nearly enough time is spent on getting to know a single character.
84 total views
– (2016) – A home improvement show travels to Europe to film a rustic house, but find trouble of the witch variety. Manages to put forward some fun character scenarios, though those characters are hardly profound. Skirts by with a few slow spots, but the finale is so manically bonkers the wait is more than worthwhile. Cheap in production, but high in ambition.
90 total views
– (2018) – A small group of young women form a coven to benefit themselves and ruin others. Does a good job showcasing bitchy girls with minor vendettas, but never creates a distinctive social point outside obvious horror tropes. Has some authentic humor, but is consistently routine.
84 total views
– (2019) – A married couple takes in a child from another world and later discover his malicious nature. Moves so fast in the early stages that none of the characters or the overall situation is fully established. While there are a few shocking and gruesome moments, there are also too many illogical and aggravating ones, mostly dealing with the rather dim parents. Worthwhile, but hollow.
198 total views, 1 views today