– (2013) – Two former friends in financial turmoil reunite at a bar and come into contact with someone who offers them money to perform violent acts. Enjoyable from the humorous start to the brutal finish, and packs in a ton of twists along the way. There’s never a dull moment, and the story provides plenty of cringe-worthy and laugh-out-loud instances. Horrible marketing aside, this is a one of a kind gem.
230 total views
– (2014) – A young woman is infected with a sexually transmitted curse that has apparitions following her wherever she goes. Has a slew of shocking moments and an overall aura of tension that’s hard to shake. Comes down to a story of friendship, which is carried by believable characters and solid performances. Unique and nerve wracking.
163 total views
– (2014) – A film crew documents the lives of ancient vampires as they cope with the modern world. Brilliantly exploits every notion of the undead (and reality shows) in laugh-out-loud fashion. Focuses on a variety of observational jokes that destroy the pompous seriousness of the genres in question. One of a kind.
174 total views
– (2013) – Paranormal experts help a family overcome a possessive spirit that aims to kill the young. Though nothing particularly unique occurs, this is a relentless grouping of horror’s more successful designs. Hardly a minute goes by that something jarring doesn’t occur, and though emotions are light, the nerve factor runs high.
179 total views
– (2007) – A reporter and her cameraman follow firefighters to a building with rabid tenants. Takes a few moments to build, and the screaming characters tend to aggravate, but once the tension kicks in during the second half there isn’t a single moment worth negating. The conclusion is especially frightening.
182 total views
– (2009) – A government agent who’s hired to relocate aliens is forced to save himself from humans upon becoming infected with alien fuel. One of the most unique movies in existence, and certainly one of the most exciting. One fantastic scene follows another, while the plot and characters build within a completely unpredictable structure. Awkward at first, but steadily becomes epic.
160 total views
– (2008) – Anthology of four intertwining stories that deal with a crazed principal, werewolves, a bus crash and overdue vengeance. Perhaps the most atmospheric Halloween movie in existence, and certainly one of the most surprising and entertaining. A slew of treats, and nary a trick, are offered up in one of horror’s very best.
159 total views
– (1973) – A husband and wife coping with the loss of their daughter cross paths with a psychic who warns them of a violent future. An absorbing mystery that drops intrigue and clues at a leisurely pace. The unusual narration leads to one of the most disturbing endings in film history.
154 total views
– (2001) – A small family and their servants cope with ghosts in their manor. Moves fast from the start and steadily improves upon the chilling plot with distinguished characters. A smart, tight mystery with strong performances and genuine suspense.
209 total views
– (1977) – A family on their way to California become stranded in a desert where the hills conceal a cannibalistic clan. Involving from the start, and doesn’t wait long before becoming relentlessly violent and suspenseful. Some events border on silly, but most are raw and unforgiving.
155 total views