– (2014) – A young woman is infected with a sexually transmitted curse that has apparitions following her wherever she goes. Has a slew of shocking moments and an overall aura of tension that’s hard to shake. Comes down to a story of friendship, which is carried by believable characters and solid performances. Unique and nerve wracking.
– (2014) – A film crew documents the lives of ancient vampires as they cope with the modern world. Brilliantly exploits every notion of the undead (and reality shows) in laugh-out-loud fashion. Focuses on a variety of observational jokes that destroy the pompous seriousness of the genres in question. One of a kind.
– (2013) – Paranormal experts help a family overcome a possessive spirit that aims to kill the young. Though nothing particularly unique occurs, this is a relentless grouping of horror’s more successful designs. Hardly a minute goes by that something jarring doesn’t occur, and though emotions are light, the nerve factor runs high.
– (2009) – A government agent who’s hired to relocate aliens is forced to save himself from humans upon becoming infected with alien fuel. One of the most unique movies in existence, and certainly one of the most exciting. One fantastic scene follows another, while the plot and characters build within a completely unpredictable structure. Awkward at first, but steadily becomes epic.
– (2008) – Anthology of four intertwining stories that deal with a crazed principal, werewolves, a bus crash and overdue vengeance. Perhaps the most atmospheric Halloween movie in existence, and certainly one of the most surprising and entertaining. A slew of treats, and nary a trick, are offered up in one of horror’s very best.
– (1986) – Hardcore Marines, with Ripley as a consultant, travel to LV-426 to investigate and ultimately destroy an alien colony. Takes a while to get going, and the Marine jargon gets tiresome after a while, but the final third has everything that makes this an oft copied classic. An exhausting outing with great characters and taut suspense.
– (1974) – Five friends on their way to a family house are terrorized by the cannibalistic clan that lives nearby. Not a lot happens overall — and Franklin annoys — but the situations gradually become more bizarre and unrelentingly vicious. Lacks a musical soundtrack, but one wouldn’t be heard over all the screaming.