– (2020) – Four budding witches develop their powers amid common high school struggles. Hardly reinvents the witchcraft wheel as nothing presented is remotely fresh. A remake/reboot that’s far more obnoxious than meaningful, and far more tedious than gripping. The final twist, however, is decent.
77 total views, 1 views today
– (2020) – A young boy is turned into a mouse at a witch convention and looks for a way to settle the score. Pretty much the same movie as the 1990 original, but suffers in comparison thanks to an overreliance of CGI and an overall lack of dark morbidity. Moves fast, but covers no new ground.
143 total views
– (2020) – A young man who once survived a murderous cult contends with their resurrected members. Has a terribly unfunny first half hour, but once the blood kicks in so too does moderate fun. Sloppy and manic, but has a few commendable moments, though most are highly improbable and/or corny.
157 total views
– (2019) – A young woman who moves into her first apartment is forced into social conditioning by her new neighbors. A highly improbable story that suggests sects are so widespread they go unnoticed, but what keeps this in the dregs is the complete lack of suspense and character development. Leaves out a single source that could separate this from any other tale of pretentious cultism.
168 total views
– (1990) – A young boy is turned into a mouse at a witch convention and looks for a way to settle the score. Mostly obnoxious at first, and always remains awkward, but does provide some fun moments once the kid becomes a rodent. A strange blend of horror and kiddie fodder, but it always holds interest and reasons to see it through to the end.
159 total views
– (2019) – A trio of friends are killing people in the name of religion, until their plans are thwarted by another trio of friends. Has a great first half that sets up its scenario well with solid acting, solid atmosphere, and solid twists. The second half comes close to losing its way on several occasions, yet always finds a means to steer itself back on course. Uneven, but enjoyable.
161 total views
– (2019) – Anthology of five stories that focus on a masked killer, a killer doll, a killer dressed as Santa, a killer cult, and a wraparound involving a killer demon. Presents the gimmick of taking place on different holidays, but they can occur at any time since there’s virtually no holiday atmosphere in any segment, even the one with Santa. The tales themselves are either stale, dull, or rip-offs of superior films.
280 total views, 1 views today
– (2019) – Sorority
girls women contend with all manner of wicked guys. A little too heavy handed on the feminist agenda, especially the super-lame dance scene, and as such feels like topical propaganda. The pace is quick though, which helps one get through a plot that is hardly original or instructive.
328 total views
– (2019) – A bride is hunted on her wedding night by the groom’s sadistic family. While the concept holds the promise of unique fun, anything put forth is rendered meaningless since there are virtually no characters worth relating to, the lead included. The ample gore is appreciated, but the pace tends to drag and the humor isn’t nearly as funny as intended.
1,174 total views
– (2017) – When visiting her’s fiance’s family, a young woman is sucked into his dark heritage. Hard to say what the point is, but this does offer some creepy imagery throughout. Too by-the-numbers to make any particular scene uncomfortable, but the evident ghastliness is appreciated.
297 total views, 1 views today