– (2004) – A small group of strangers struggle to escape from a series of boxes while engineers try to keep them contained. Only distinct from the previous entries in that we leave confined compounds, but the scenes outside the squares are equally inept. Has a great opening shot of grue, but all else is stale and uneventful.
191 total views, 1 views today
– (2019) – Notorious serial killers reassemble to continue their deviant ways. The first hour is an absolute riot that builds on the lore of the main cast while furthering their inventive insanity. The second half, however, merely mimics the third act of The Devil’s Rejects. Still, there are plenty of reasons to rejoice over the resurgence of characters who are at their best when behaving their worst.
425 total views
– (2019) – High school kids befriend a woman who lets them party in her basement, but she gradually becomes too involved in their lives. Works best when laying out insanity, but some occurrences are a bit on the silly side. The major problem is the antagonist’s motive, which doesn’t necessitate the brutal outcome.
264 total views, 1 views today
– (2012) – A young woman agrees to participate in a scheme to acquire money, which turns out to be a sadistic game of life and death. The idea is intriguing, but it’s wasted on characters we simply know nothing about. There’s only one character who’s explored, rendering the outcome completely predictable. Much of the acting is bad, as well, which helps ruin the creep factor.
163 total views, 1 views today
– (2018) – Psychotic moments are exchanged in a small circle of cellists. Almost succeeds as a unique horror experience, but for every shocking moment there are several of blinding stupidity that almost render this a comedy. Would have worked better if no character spoke and the actors practiced their parts.
130 total views, 1 views today
– (2015) – A man who’s obsessed with Anne Hathaway hires, films, and brutalizes actresses who resemble her in preparation for his desired meeting with her. The premise is unique, and the found footage aspect works, but even at only 87-minutes this tends to drag. Has a few unnerving spots, but the uneven pace and repetition make this easy to drift away from.
126 total views
– (2007) – A trio of friends looking for fun at a Mexican border town instead find themselves involved with a religious cult. Opens with a vicious bang, then builds on an involving mystery with plenty of surprises and violent shocks. Characters aren’t always the brightest, and some actions aren’t logical, but this is completely absorbing in the grittiest of ways.
117 total views
– (2013) – Two former friends in financial turmoil reunite at a bar and come into contact with someone who offers them money to perform violent acts. Enjoyable from the humorous start to the brutal finish, and packs in a ton of twists along the way. There’s never a dull moment, and the story provides plenty of cringe-worthy and laugh-out-loud instances. Horrible marketing aside, this is a one of a kind gem.
180 total views
– (2015) – A lumbering immortal makes trouble for gangsters who disrupt his meaningless days. While the point isn’t entirely clear, and some motives are questionable, this is always fun and worth following. Mainly gets by on great humor, witty dialog, and a terrific performance by Henry Rollins.
88 total views
– (2017) – A girl who’s raped and later left for dead hunts down her aggressors. Initially has some enticing and shocking moments, but gradually becomes a bland mix of I Spit on Your Grave and Rambo III. The violence is the highlight as this ultimately turns into a bloodbath, but the plot and characters leave much to be desired.
95 total views, 1 views today