– (2019) – Soldiers travel to a moon of Mars to prevent demons from bringing hell to Earth. Little more than an Aliens clone with possessed scientists and unimpressive creatures in place of memorable enemies. Too murky in appearance and too dopey in execution to take seriously.
75 total views
– (1991) – CIA personnel take on mutants and terrorists in suburbia. Hard to tell what exactly is happening, since the editing is too sporadic when scenes don’t endlessly drag. Seems to have amused those involved, but for the rest of us this is pure torture.
94 total views
– (2020) – Ocean researches become trapped miles beneath the surface when their rig is destroyed. On top of escape they also battle a monster. Gets off to an exciting and tense start, but gradually becomes repetitive and dull. Manages some suspense toward the end, but there’s little danger felt for the characters since all we know about them are thin backstories.
103 total views
– (1971) – A king’s brain is placed into the body of a hulking dimwit, prompting him to go on a minor spree of violence. Has a lot going on, yet is still pretty drab since these occurrences are all over the place. This is quite a mess, but does have enough goofiness and varied horror devices to make it (mostly) easy to get through.
83 total views
– (1995) – A man who injects himself with werewolf blood is later experimented on with hardening skin. Disturbing in that the main subject is always writhing in pain, but much of everything else is rather dry. Has too small a cast, meaning too low a body count, but manages some goofy terror.
297 total views
– (2004) – A small group of strangers struggle to escape from a series of boxes while engineers try to keep them contained. Only distinct from the previous entries in that we leave confined compounds, but the scenes outside the squares are equally inept. Has a great opening shot of grue, but all else is stale and uneventful.
174 total views
– (2019) – A meteor crashes onto the property of an isolated family, and brings with it troubles of the colorful kind. Begins by building credibility in the few characters before tossing them into some truly dire situations. Not entirely deep from an emotional perspective, but gets by on unpredictability and dark surrealism.
227 total views
– (2007) – A woman who survived a zombie attack on an island returns to that island to bring them all down. Pretty much Aliens with zombies in place of monsters, yet has so many off-the-wall moments it’s hard to condemn as just a casual rip-off. Gore is plentiful, zombies are everywhere, and the outcome is admiringly disgusting.
154 total views
– (2019) – A group of people become trapped in a field of grass that can manipulate time. Goes through varying stages of irritation, mostly dealing with perpetually shouting characters and pretentious plotting. Dialog hits a new low as well, and finding out what this is all about becomes less of a concern the more the nagging story progresses.
211 total views
– (2016) – Anthology of six stories that focus on space chicks, the comatose, a skip tracer, identity swapping, murder contemplation, and a male-free future. A dreadful collection of lame tales that share two common traits: they all take place in a MOTEL and they all stink. The final story shows some signs of mild creativity, but the others merely follow trails of cliches.
281 total views