– (2017) – An ancient evil is unleashed in the form of an Egyptian woman, and it’s up to archaeologists to stop her. Gets off to a decent start with some excitement and humor, but hits the brakes halfway through, adds one subplot too many, and stops making any sense. Worsens by the minute, and continually loses focus.
– (2017) – A space crew hones in on a beacon sent from a planet with reproduction issues. Takes a while to get going, and has plenty of slow spots, but does manage to excite on occasion. Answers questions posed in Prometheus, but not in an air tight manner. Certainly entertaining, and worthy of the franchise.
– (2016) – Cops, hospital personnel, and vigilantes contend with interdimensional forces of evil. Basically a cross between Assault on Precinct 13 and From Beyond, with traces of other more successful films thrown in the mix. Has some enjoyably gory mayhem, but the plot and significance lack originality.
– (2017) – A military guided expedition to an unclaimed island leads to the discovery of a massive ape. Gets off to a rip-roaring start, but after the first major action sequence, the pace takes a serious hit. Separate parties wander toward a rendezvous point amid sporadic creature battles, yet only one character has a background while others go missing for long stretches. The human scope is empty, but the mystique of Kong is top notch.
– (2017) – A woman who’s been battling a corporate viral outbreak for many years returns to the epicenter of her problems to end all the madness. Follows the same formula as the previous entries by placing computerized technology over any human traits. A jumbled mess that has no flow, no involvement, and no reassurance that this is actually the end.
– (2016) – A vampire in a shiny leather coat aims to stop her kind from fighting werewolves in shiny leather coats. Yet another preposterous, pompous, and pretentious entry in a never-ending series that continues to take itself too seriously despite a severe lack of originality. Bloated CGI mumbo jumbo for an audience that couldn’t possible be asking for more entries.