– (1972) – Someone’s killing children in a small Italian village, and many locals are suspects. Has a gripping and disturbing first half that offers high levels of discomfort. The final half, however, drags when the murders and the reactions to them are replaced by a dull investigation.
– (2018) – A small family continues to outlast creatures that attack anything that makes noise. Somehow won the world over, most likely those in for some decent scares and those who’ve never seen Tremors. While there are inventive moments, there are some illogical ones as well, along with predictability and the sad fact that we have no idea who these people are.
– (2009) – A group of teens and a talking dog try to solve a ghostly problem in their high school. Good for a chuckle or two if your child-self is watching, but to the adult-self this is pure misery. The jokes grow old fast, the story is hard to invest in, and the characters barely resemble the cartoon cast or even the actors from the first two live action films.
– (2017) – A girl who’s raped and later left for dead hunts down her aggressors. Initially has some enticing and shocking moments, but gradually becomes a bland mix of I Spit on Your Grave and Rambo III. The violence is the highlight as this ultimately turns into a bloodbath, but the plot and characters leave much to be desired.
– (2014) – A man is kidnapping B-movie scream queens and filming their murders. The motive isn’t air tight, and some scenes drag on for far too long. Never lives up to its concept, either, but the actresses are all game and it’s great to see so many assembled at once to poke fun at their cheesy (but awesome) careers.
– (2008) – A deceased young woman who’s not really dead complicates the lives of derelicts and their bullies. Though there’s a lot of confusion in the rules at hand, enough twisted and violent acts occur to mark this as a success. Would have worked much better if any single character weren’t so despicable or weak.
– (2013) – A couple on their way to a hotel become lost in a never-ending maze while tormented by strangers. Though the plot is hardly airtight, and the characters aren’t drawn well enough to root for or against, there is an overall aura of tension throughout and a need to see how everything will pan out. Often unique and stirring.