– (2017) – A woman is handcuffed to a bed by a man who has a heart attack, leaving her alone to face physical and mental turmoil. The structure does a great job turning a book that seemed impossible to film into a twisted series of psychological events. Takes too long to explain itself in the end, and the Crypt Creeper is more silly than frightening, but does feature one of the goriest moments in horror history.
– (1999) – A man on a mission of peace ends up battling a horde of cannibals alongside twelve other warriors. A trivial mess that somehow turns sword battles into tests of endurance. Characters have no depth, the story is too basic, and the victories throughout too easily won. More along the lines of a Lord of the Rings film without any purpose or meaning.
– (2017) – Chucky seeks out the previous film’s survivor in a mental institution, with the ability to replicate himself. Has a cleverness that sets it apart from other entries, and Chucky’s a hoot when he actually appears. The main problem rests with the human characters who are either too bland or fail to do anything progressive. Somewhat fresh for a seventh entry, but the series has gotten stale.
– (2017) – The child of a notoriously lawless family escapes from a mental institution, raises hell with other inmates, and ultimately becomes the titular villain. Gets off to a terrible start by introducing scenarios that make no sense (if the family’s so bad why are they free), but gradually becomes a ridiculous bloodbath that’s hard to look away from. Light years from perfect, but provides some gory goods.
– (2017) – A man who dies avoids the great beyond and settles into his house where life passes him by. A quietly compelling experience that’s unlike any other film dealing with death, though some scenes would fare better if fast forwarded through. Unique in its subtle design, but in the end doesn’t punch hard enough emotionally to consider more than a moderate art house success.
– (2014) – Newlyweds vacationing in secluded woods run into trouble when the wife begins acting irrationally after strange marks appear on her body. Starts off a tad too cutesy, but gradually builds into something where anything cute has no place. A strange, gripping tale with unusual and tense advancements.