– (2016) – Cops, hospital personnel, and vigilantes contend with interdimensional forces of evil. Basically a cross between Assault on Precinct 13 and From Beyond, with traces of other more successful films thrown in the mix. Has some enjoyably gory mayhem, but the plot and significance lack originality.
– (2017) – A military guided expedition to an unclaimed island leads to the discovery of a massive ape. Gets off to a rip-roaring start, but after the first major action sequence, the pace takes a serious hit. Separate parties wander toward a rendezvous point amid sporadic creature battles, yet only one character has a background while others go missing for long stretches. The human scope is empty, but the mystique of Kong is top notch.
– (1976) – A female film director seeks a male for her latest low budget movie, which happens to upset a giant ape. Strives hard for cult consideration, and might garner attention as a curiosity, but too much of this is flat out dull. The jokes that work occasionally work well, but the failing jokes leave behind a wretched stench.
– (2015) – Anthology of eight stories that focus on pumpkin seeds, doomsday, a meat sacrifice, a wrongful death, a carnival game, a frightened kid, a chubby murderer, and an online ghost. Very few stories have any Halloween atmosphere, and most every tale has no direction or purpose. Woefully acted, nonsensical, and horribly constructed.
– (2016) – Two BFF clerks take on mini-Nazi bratwursts that eventually control a goalie golem. The leads are vibrant enough to carry the watch, but the plot around them gets a bit too awkward. The humor works on occasion, though the horror inclusions are too purposefully twisted to have any sort of cinematic impact.
– (2016) – Godzilla resurfaces in Japan and spawns into a huge problem. Moves at bullet speed, has few shots that last longer than four seconds, and never lingers long enough to get to know anyone. Does have one great night scene of Godzilla mayhem, but the bulk of this consists of rapid discussions of how to bring him down.